Beauport - Le pays de la Canne
Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François

Church of St. John the Baptist

Monument - Le Moule

The first church building at this site was destroyed by the earthquake of 1843. The new church building, whose construction had begun earlier, was completed in about 1950. Classified as a historic monument, its neo-classical, sandstone and limestone façade is flanked by masonry laterals supporting four Ionic columns mounted by a triangular fronton and, on either side of the portal, two statue niches. With its two chapels, the building forms a Latin cross. The bell tower was designed by architect Ali Tur. Damaged by the hurricane of 1928, the building was in need of renovation. To improve its luminosity, the vault and nave were raised and openings made in 1935 at the initiative of the parish priest at the time, Father Durand. The church has handsome furnishings and an elegant décor. In the choir, four paintings recount the life of Saint John the Baptist. Stained glass windows depict the fourteen Stations of the Cross.

chemin bleu
albioma
phoneglass
les eaux marines
matrix2

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet