Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Bourse des Vols
Beauport new
Paradoxe
Autolagon

Schœlcher Museum

Museum - Pointe-à-Pitre

The museum building is in the classical style, constructed from rubble stone coated with render and painted. Above the second floor, the attic houses an exhibition room. The museum was inaugurated on July 21, 1887, and contains a collection of objects donated to Guadeloupe by Victor Schœlcher, the man responsible for drawing up the decree abolishing slavery on April 27, 1848. Most of the items on display, such as documents, medallions and sculptures, relate to the famous man’s efforts defend the oppressed. Outside is a bust of Schœlcher, created by Bogino in 1913.

Schœlcher Museum. Peynier street frontage
Schœlcher Museum. Peynier street frontage
Schœlcher Museum - Pointe-à-Pitre: an elegant porch
Schœlcher Museum - Pointe-à-Pitre: an elegant porch
Bust of Schœlcher worked by Bogino
Bust of Schœlcher worked by Bogino
Schœlcher Museum, Pointe-à-Pitre, facade ornaments
Schœlcher Museum, Pointe-à-Pitre, facade ornaments
chemin bleu
route du rhum
Le Petit Jardin

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet