Beauport - Le pays de la Canne
Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François

Saint Rose of Lima Church

Monument - Sainte-Rose

This “new” church was built in about 1743, when the center of the parish was relocated to the area near the town. It features a magnificent bell tower and surrounding cemetery with many graves decorated with lambi conches, in addition to graves of prominent Sainte-Rose figures. The church was dedicated to a Peruvian saint, canonized in 1671 by Pope Clement X, by the name of Isabel Flores de Oliva, known as Rose de Lima (1586-1617), whose Feast Day is celebrated on August 23. Rose was the first saint from the New World to be canonized. At age 20, she entered the Third Order of Saint Dominic, spending her days in penitence and meditation and serving the hungry, the aged, the sick, and abandoned children. She died in 1617 at the age of 31. Venerated in Peru and throughout the Americas, she also began being worshiped in France soon after she was canonized.

chemin bleu
la releve
dbp

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet