Beauport - Le pays de la Canne
Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François
village du littoral

Church of Our Lady of Good Help

Monument - Port-Louis

This parish was founded around 1730. After being devastated by fire in 1817, the church was rebuilt from 1827-29 (Baron des Rotours, then governor of Guadeloupe, officiated at the laying of the cornerstone in March 1827), but was once again destroyed by the earthquake of 1843. Reopened for worship in 1847, it was destroyed by a second fire in 1890. The new building, consisting of a metal framework built in Antwerp, was consecrated in 1894. In 1989, the church was damaged yet again, this time by hurricane Hugo. The metal framework was covered with wood and a vault made entirely of paneling was built. Inside, the beautiful altar in Carrara marble bears an inscription of thanksgiving to God by former slaves following the abolition of slavery in 1848.

chemin bleu
madelia
kaladja
corrida du sud
le poisson d'or

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet