Beauport - Le pays de la Canne
Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François
village du littoral

Our Lady of the Assumption Church

Monument - Pointe-Noire

Built in 1853 on elevated ground overlooking the ocean and expanded in 1976, this church retains its original facade with neo-classical fronton, outlined by a peripheral trim in volcanic rock. The lateral additions are compatible with the original design, repeating the peripheral trim using columns and molded cornices. The arched doors are also outlined in rock. In the interior, a reinforced concrete vault gives the edifice dimension. A small square bell tower is mounted on the sacristy. Coadjutor Bishop of Guadeloupe, Théodore-Augustin Forcade, consecrated the church on February 6, 1855. Its coat of arms is affixed to the entrance. The commune’s first parish priest, Father Robert, is responsible for installing the marble altar, wood pulpit, and the church’s fabulous bell. Adjacent to the church at the entrance to the cemetery, there is an unusual burial vault, the “caveau des prêtres.” This small building in the form of a Roman temple contains the skeletal remains of the commune’s priests and nuns.

chemin bleu
anbadlola
Parc aquacole

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet