Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François
village du littoral
Beauport new
Paradoxe

Isle of the Goats

Island - Terre-de-Haut

Fort Josephine (or Fort de la Reine—The Queen’s Fort) was built atop Pointe Sable overlooking the bay in 1777, as a worthy counterpart to Fort Louis. It was destroyed by the British in 1809. After Les Saintes was restored to France, partial reconstruction was begun. It was then used as a place of detention, with two major structures established in around 1866:  the penitentiary, on the location of the former Fort (for maximum security prisoners) and the lazaretto (place of quarantine and isolation hospital for people suffering from infectious diseases), where immigrants from the French trading posts of India were also held. A few ruins remain.

City of Terre de Haut, Ilet à Cabrit. Pointe Sable et Pointe Bombarde
City of Terre de Haut, Ilet à Cabrit. Pointe Sable et Pointe Bombarde
Terre de Haut - view from the Morne Mire
Terre de Haut - view from the Morne Mire
 From the village, view of Ilet à Cabrit
From the village, view of Ilet à Cabrit
 Ilet à Cabrit, Terre de Haut. Pointe Sable and the remains of Fort Josephine
Ilet à Cabrit, Terre de Haut. Pointe Sable and the remains of Fort Josephine
chemin bleu
chez gisele et philippe

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet