Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Bourse des Vols
Beauport new
Paradoxe
Autolagon

Mayoumbé windmill

Mill - Saint-Louis

The Mayoumbé sugar plantation was established in 1825 on the site of a former coffee plantation. The estate, which belonged to Madame Roussel Bonneterre, boasted a windmill, a sugar refinery with five boilers, a sugarcane stalk house, and 33 slave huts. The refinery closed at the beginning of the 20th century. The body of the mill, in the shape of a truncated cone, has three arched openings made of dressed stone. The main opening, which is appreciably larger than the others, was used to introduce the mechanism into the mill (shafts, lamps, scrapers, and, of course, the rollers and their chassis). There were also different bays, another opening, and the cane juice chute, which was placed on the ground and used to transport the cane juice to the refinery, thus indicating the direction of the refinery.

 Moulin de Mayoumbé, Saint-Louis. Characteristic tapered shape
Moulin de Mayoumbé, Saint-Louis. Characteristic tapered shape
 Saint-Louis, Mayoumbé mill, one of the three openings
Saint-Louis, Mayoumbé mill, one of the three openings
Mayoumbé mill. Ashlar arched openings
Mayoumbé mill. Ashlar arched openings
 The cartridge belonging to the sugar house
The cartridge belonging to the sugar house
chemin bleu
La Baleine Rouge
Baleine rouge 2
pizza del sol

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet