Beauport - Le pays de la Canne
Aquarium de la Guadeloupe
Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Rhum Karukéra
Green Blue Houses
Casino Saint François

Town Hall

Architecture - Port-Louis

The town hall was designed by Ali Tur and Guadeloupian architect Gérard-Michel Corbin and constructed in reinforced concrete, stone and wrought iron after the hurricane of 1928. The style is neo-classical. It contains a large debating chamber ornamented with a rather imposing mirror. Corbin was born in Fort de France in 1905 of Guadeloupian parents. He graduated from the Ecole Spéciale de Travaux Publics in Paris with a degree in architecture.  In 1930, after working for the Highways Department, he collaborated with Tur, a renowned architect in the Colonies Ministry who had recently been chosen to oversee the construction of numerous public buildings following the destruction caused by the hurricane of 1928. Between 1930 and 1945, while serving as “voyer” architect (in charge of consultations, testing, designs, drawings and project management in the areas of architecture, environment, urban planning and land development), he oversaw various projects for a number of municipalities, including Pointe-à-Pitre, Gosier, Saint-François, Moule, Port-Louis and Anse-Bertrand. He was a co-founder of the Order of Architects of Antilles-Guyane, and served as its president until 1965. Between 1953 and 1970, he carried out a large number of public works, including schools, town halls and Raizet airport, as well as numerous private projects,  such as houses and apartment buildings. He died in Pointe-à-Pitre in 1975 at the age of 70.

chemin bleu
madelia
kaladja
corrida du sud
le poisson d'or

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet