Jardin botanique de Deshaies
Bourse des Vols
Beauport new
Paradoxe
Autolagon

Former Saint-Jacques plantation

Windmill - Saint-François

There are some remains of the Saint-Jacques estate today located on private land. Well installed on a bank, the windmill still resists with its limestone walls coated with visible stone, that is to say leaving the head of the stones visible. It has three arched bays framed with cut stone. The western bay allowed the arrival of carts loaded with cane, the narrower south bay was planned for the rejection of bagasse. On the west facade a small arched opening allowed the evacuation of the vesou through the chute. Nearby, on the west side, there is still a chimney, square base, about ten meters high, which ends in a molded crown. It is built in masonry of rough rubble, lined with lime mortar and coated. Terracotta tiles are included in the grouting mortar. Only the north wall and the vestiges of the crew remain. 19 mills remain at Saint-François which have a certain number of common features, height, 8 to 9 m, diameter around 5 m. The walls were covered with a lime-based plaster. Arched vaults in ashlar. They often present above the main door a cartouche bearing an emblem, a coat of arms or an inscription signifying the belonging of the mill to the Habitation thus authenticated and sometimes the name of the artisan builder is also engraved. Moulin de Guyot, built in 1846 in a traditional way in limestone rubble, beautiful cartridge. Moulin de Baie Sainte-Marie, a pink coated heart dominates the semicircular arch. Bien-Désirée, 1826, the mason signed his work on the cartouche that surmounts the keystone. Belle-Allée, 1827, cartouche with engraved inscription.

chemin bleu
majesty

    Version française - - © 2012 Chemin Bleu - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Réalisation Vincent Mallet